After some conversations and some pondering, I petitioned the Lord this morning about how to be more clear and simple about “sanctification.” Per the question of whether it is “a process” or “an event”? Put simply, “Yes.” The following is what the Lord revealed to me. Seek for your own revelation, understanding and confirmation.
- God’s truth (doctrine) offers hope. “Doctrines are the attributes and experience of Godhood. It is the eternal potential for each individual (the “Why–what’s it all for anyway”). God reveals Doctrine to orient or re-orient His children back to Them and to set them on their own journey to Godhood. Doctrines change people. Doctrines change people because they change our perspective. Doctrines enable us to see and understand what is possible for each individual. ‘True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior’ (Elder Boyd K. Packer). ‘The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in… The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature’ (President Ezra Taft Benson).” (See also Sections 11-11.3 in “What is Truth”)
- God’s law (principles) offers a means of exercising faith. “Principles are the laws or rules of transformation–things that guide our action and behavior (the “what is required”; the “qualification” for Doctrine). Principles are qualities that need to be exercised to fulfill Doctrines and obtain Godhood. Each Doctrine has Principles that are directly or indirectly relevant to it. When relevant Principles are correctly applied, followed or exercised they can bring about the necessary transformational change in a person enabling them to personally fulfill Doctrines and pursue Godhood.” (See also Sections 12-12.3 in “What is Truth”)
- Hope = personal confidence and trust in the possibilities of God and Godhood
- Faith = exercising personal free will of righteous principles (faith in Jesus Christ) within a covenant with God.
- Repentance = the fruit of Faith in Jesus Christ. It is realizing and confessing that nothing in the world offers truth and salvation. It is turning away from the world’s philosophies or returning to the Lord and making Him your source of truth (your true prophet). True-arm-of-flesh-prophets point you to Christ and are not to be idolized or worshiped. They are false gods because they cannot offer you salvation. Salvation comes only in and through the Lord, Jesus Christ–not because He fulfilled the atonement but because He is the only one authorized to give it.
- Sanctification = an increase in light (glory, power, truth)
- Thus, Truth + Law = Sanctification
- Thus, Hope + Faith = Sanctification
- Thus, Sanctification is “a process“
- Ordinance = the Lord’s will to bestow a certain amount of permanent light and associated gifts that is recorded and witnessed by the Holy Spirit (of promise) to help a person fulfill God’s Covenant.
- The Lord’s Will = the absolute best (right) time for that specific person because the Lord has omniscience and He is perfectly just and merciful.
- God’s Covenant = the formal framework and opportunity to receive sanctification (acquire hope and exercise faith), receive ordinances within a mortal probation (time) complete with conditions and promises.
- Thus, Sanctification is not only “a process” but part of “an event” (Ordinance)
- (Hope + Faith) Sanctification + The Lord’s Will = Baptism of Fire and the Holy Ghost (Ordinance).
- The Ordinance (event) Baptism of Fire and the Holy Ghost = the divine change powered by the Lord Himself within one’s soul whereby their sins are officially remitted and their tabernacle can then house and receive the necessary Gift of the Holy Ghost.
- The Gift of the Holy Ghost = Your soul’s increase in the glory of God and the means whereby the Lord can mentor you and guide you back into His presence through His personal direction, commands and words of pure intelligence.
- The Gift of the Holy Ghost + Obedience to Personal Commandments = Sanctification
- The Gift of the Holy Ghost + Obedience to Personal Commandments + more Sanctification + The Will of the Lord = The Second Comforter
- The Second Comforter = The presence of the Lord while in mortality in order to enable a person to become a personal witness of the marks of His atonement, experience His glory, receive the promise of eternal life (Holy Spirit of Promise) and be personally taught by Him. It is to know Him.
- Thus, Sanctification is “the process” and even “Thee process” or the process in which Thee (Diety; the Almighty God; the Lord) uses to bring us to Him and offer eternal life.
All is explained through scripture in The Doctrine of Christ Study Guide.
JourneyDoctrineOfChrist.org is based on complimentary, online Study Guides to help you learn, believe, live and teach the Doctrine of Christ. The Study Guides invite any and all to see and know this truth for themselves that the Savior, Jesus Christ, has in fact introduced His doctrine and He personally invites all to literally receive Him while in the flesh (mortality).
Blog posts are intended to supplement the Study Guides. Per all blog posts, seek the understanding and confirmations from the Lord in your own personal revelation. Study guides are intended to point you to both the Lord’s written word and His voice (personal revelation). These study guides will help you uncover what the Doctrine of Christ is and other essential topics that will help you in your journey to come into His presence while in mortality. All study guides are available at JourneyDoctrineOfChrist.org