Becoming a Servant
Last week, I made changes to The Doctrine of Christ Study Guide (upgraded it to version 2.0) and added a blog post to explain why those changes were necessary.
I wanted to take a few minutes to finish this important thought about perspective and having the right motivation for seeking the face of the Lord.
As discussed, the first step is to become a “servant” to the Lord, Jesus Christ. A servant is humble enough to recognize his or her position as it relates to Deity and has a desire to do something greater than what he/she could do on their own. A servant listens to the Light of Christ and chooses to do good for others. You might even say that a servant of our Savior does what Jesus asks to please Him out of duty.
- (Mosiah 5:13) For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?
- (John 12:26-27) If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.
We look to the Savior as the example of the ultimate servant for he truly did the will of the Father and fulfilling all righteousness.
- (Matthew 7:21)… Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
- (John 6:38-39)… For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
However, a good servant to our Master knows His will and motivations, but may still not be totally aligned with their master’s heart.
We Must Become a “Friend” to Jesus Christ
Thus, there is a point at which we need to become something more than a “servant.” The next step is to become a true “friend” of the Savior. A true “friend” of our Savior does what Jesus asks to please Him out of friendship and love.
“Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you” (John 15:15).
A true friend of our Savior does what Jesus asks to please Him out of friendship and love. A friend loves the Lord. A friend understands and loves the will of the Lord. A friend trusts that whatever is asked is good.
- (John 15:13-15) Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
- (James 2:23) And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
- (John 3:29) He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
Ultimately, We Must Become a “Son or Daughter” of Jesus Christ
“On a higher level, a ‘son or daughter’ of God is a joint heir with Christ of all that the Father has. He is a shareholder, not receiving wages as a servant, and not doing things as a friend, but wholly invested in the family business–the gospel of Christ, clothed and empowered with Father’s righteousness and light. A son or daughter chooses to do what they see their Father or Mother do. Because he or she has greater loyalty to them, they have a special intimacy based on love, and tied to blood or grateful adoption.”–LDSPerfectDay (I could not have said it any better, so I quoted him)
A person can become a literal “son or daughter” of Jesus Christ by receiving their event Baptism of Fire and the Holy Ghost. You will learn more about this significant event in The Doctrine of Christ Study Guide although a few references are provided here:
- (3 Ne. 19:18-22)…Note that after the twelve disciples of Christ in 3rd Nephi 19 received the fiery baptism and the Holy Ghost – and before the eyes of the very people they were called to serve – they then began praying to the Lord Jesus.
- (Mosiah 5:7,15)…King Benjamin revealed that this event was how his people became Christ’s sons and daughters. They had taken His name upon them and were sealed His.
- (Mosiah 27:25)…must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters
- (Moses 6:64-68)…Behold, thou art one in me, a son of God; and thus may all become my sons.
Start Your Journey
This is the right perspective that a person should have when seeking the face of the Lord. And it is a journey, for sure. Success in your journey will come when you receive the words of the Lord in both scripture and personal revelation. His words, and His words only, are what can and will change a person’s heart. If He can change mine, He can most certainly change yours. Thus, the Study Guides provided are there to help you learn, understand, believe and complete your journey. If you have not already done so, I invite you to start today.
JourneyDoctrineOfChrist.org is based on complimentary, online Study Guides to help you learn, believe, live and teach the Doctrine of Christ. The Study Guides invite any and all to see and know this truth for themselves that the Savior, Jesus Christ, has, in fact, introduced His doctrine and He personally invites all to literally receive Him while in the flesh (mortality).
These study guides are intended to point you to both the Lord’s written word and His voice (personal revelation). These study guides will help you uncover what the Doctrine of Christ is and other essential topics that will help you in your journey to come into His presence while in mortality. All study guides are available at http://www.JourneyDoctrineOfChrist.org